Friday, June 09, 2006

There but for the grace...

Supreme tragedy has got me thinking today. A 5-yr old boy drowned yesterday while swimming with his friend in the friend's family pool. The moms of the kids went in the house to watch through the window and chat while the boys played. I keep thinking...pools and bathtubs can be so dangerous! Living at my parents' house keeps me on my toes, but the pool in the backyard is really scary. Jayden LOVES to swim! I worry he will someday find himself tempted by the pool without enough supervision and.....

I know...I worry too much. But, all the same, better safe than sorry?

I guess I have a good sense of water safety and I am trying hard to teach it to Jayden. Perhaps I will have as much luck with that as I did teaching him about cars in the road. He is very conscious of cars coming and going. He often even remembers to look for them and PANICS when he sees them. Something went right there.

But, my oh my, my heart, prayers, and thoughts for strength and healing go to the family that lost their little boy and to the family who owns the pool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very sad to read. I'm sorry this happened. A parents nightmare, no doubt. I can relate to you (as you know) about the worries. I sincerely wish both sets of parents well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynda,
I think you're right to worry and this is why Brian and I want to pay for swim lessons for Jayden as soon as he turns 3. They teach the skills he needs for survival even if he falls in- with no "swimmies" on.
We love you to pieces and we think you're a wonderful "Mommy!"
Tess/mom

Anonymous said...

how terrible! you know they have - in addition to instruction and prevention of course! - little lock on bracelets that send out an alarm to a unit if they get wet just for that reason! something to look into for Ellie at least if you end up with a pool!