Friday, February 24, 2006

Here fishy, fishy, fishy, fishy!

Yesterday we had a really big day! Because Dave's brother and his wife came to visit, we went to the aquarium. That always makes for a big day for us. I don't really know why it takes ALL day, but it does. Anyway, we made an early start at 9:00am for breakfast with the gang. Jayden sat next to Grandma Tess and Uncle Wes and Aunt Katie played with Ellie. Then we piled up in the cars (girls in one and boys in the other) and headed down to Monterey.

The aquarium was not very crowded except in the area with the little kids place ... splash zone I think they call it. Jayden was not terribly interested in the touch pools. He did like to look, but he didn't want to touch anything and the more everyone asked him if he wanted to, the more he DIDN'T want to. We all enjoyed the Jelly Fish display (which I understand is leaving in August) and the shark exhibit was nice. The best part was the tuna tank with the sea turtle. He was just hanging out at the window and giving us all a really nice view of him. It was a surprise because every other time I've been there, he has been really elusive.

I remember that the last time we took Jayden down to the aquarium, he was calling all the animals "shee-shees" because he couldn't wrap his tongue around the "f" for "fishies" and had a very limited vocabulary. Yesterday, he was trying out all the words, "Jellyfish, tenticles, shark, turtle, kelp, crab, penguin..." He was a veritable library of marine vocabulary.

After lunch at the FishHopper (at the end of the pier on Cannery Row), Katie, Eliana, and I visited the silver shop (they have some really pretty things there), while the others went down to the beach. Jayden managed to get soaked to his waist so we stripped him down and wrapped him in my sweatshirt. He stayed there nice and snug for all of 5 minutes until we got to the candy store and he just HAD to get out! He was the cutest thing running around the store in his diaper and filling up his bucket with candy. I wish we had gotten a picture of that!

Speaking of pictures....since Jayden is so fond of taking them, the battery in my camera lasted for only 30 minutes of our trip! So, I don't have many pictures, but I will get them from Grandma Tess who brought her brand new camera (the Rebel or somthing like that).

Anyhow, at this point it is needless to say, but...both kids were sound asleep long before we got back on the freeway to come home and they slept like...umm...babies ;). Jayden actually slept from 7ish pm until about 5 am (when he came to me for the second time in the night only this time he was NOT going back to sleep). Eliana in true form, woke up several times hungry. I don't know why she won't sleep through the night anymore...she did it for about a week or two in December and hasn't done it since! The book says she is supposed to sleep through at 3 months! Gonna have to bring that up at her dr appt next month.

So....we've been busy...wonder what we will get to today!


Lori said...

Faith can say "fish" and "food" very well, but if you ask her what her name is, she'll tell you "Saith". No idea why... but I hope it's something she'll outgrow on her own.

Faith didn't sleep through the night much until 1 yr old while Mika did it mostly since she was 3 months. She still has bad nights when she's teething and wakes up a couple times but I don't feed her because she doesn't seem to want that (I used to but she'd vommit it back out like she had too much to eat). Every kid is so different as evident to me when I compare my girls to each other.

The Pizzitola Family said...

Rebecca was at least a year old before she started sleeping through the night. She still wakes up often. She's now started waking at 5:30 or 6:00 am...I think because the sun is up so early now...looking forward to the time change. Good luck on your sleeping.

Violet the Verbose said...

Your family outing sounds like a ton of fun. Monterey rocks, doesn't it?

Maybe Ellie is teething! Fiona slept through the night from 2 months - 4 months, and then she started teething and did not sleep through the night again until she finished cutting her two-year molars at 25 months.