Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Fall begins--A New Year!

Last week marked the beginning of fall. I love autumn when the leaves turn their pretty gold, red, and brown colors and the weather begins to chill. I think fall is my favorite season. Of course, it has my favorite "secular" holiday in it---Halloween! I know...if you know me (and I would guess you aren't reading this unless you know me) you know that Halloween is my favorite non-Jewish holiday. I say "secular" because technically it is religios based holiday, but the way we celebrate it here in our fabulous country, it is secular. Halloween is actually a Pagan holiday that the Christian leaders adopted into practice when they tried to convert the world to their new religion. They knew that the people would not easily give up their traditions so many of the Christian practices are of Pagan decent. Halloween as we celebrate it in America is one of my faves, so thank you Pagans! (Funny what you learn working for the Catholics, eh?). I am thinking about hunting up my Halloween decorations and bringing them to my parents' house and decking us out, but I am not sure how my folks will react to that. Gonna wait until after Yom Kippur (Monday) to bring it up.

Speaking of...I am taking this opportunity of the Jewish New Year to reflect on my year and try to bring about change for the better. That is the purpose of these holidays as well. They are to give you time to reflect on how you have been and to develop a plan for improvement. I have decided on some things I need to work on this year. I hope to be a better person for it. SO...For all those of you that I have wronged in any way (by talking too much, not talking enough, failing to listen or failing to hear, doing too much or not doing enough, or doing the wrong thing or saying the wrong thing) please forgive me as I try to forgive myself. I am turning a new leaf and make you this promise that I will do my best to be a better person, friend, wife, mother, sister, daughter, neighbor, aunt, cousin, team member.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! L'Shana Tovah to you!! Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. Hoping to see the Halloween decorations up at the Kaminsky house :-)!